Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What Would You Give Up for Peace & Happiness?

Would you be willing to give up your car, your house, your job to live life in slow motion? What if you had a Porsche, a mansion, and a job that rolled in $200k a year? It's funny how we wish for a simple life, yet pray for more money to make our life easier.

A few weeks ago, during a visit from monk, Bhante Sujatha, visiting from Illinois, he talked about how rich people suffer and poor people suffer. Essentially, everyone suffers. Having more or less money doesn't solve any of our emotional problems.

I never liked watching the news, so I don't. This strong opinion developed as a child where when I was young, I had to share a bedroom with my mother for several years. In addition to her Dallas and Dynasty viewing requirements, came the news - as often as she could get it on T.V. I wanted nothing to do with the outpouring of negative depressing stories that colored the television. Today, in the rare moment I catch a glimpse of the news on my mother's television screen when I visit, I find myself even more horrified. The news to me seems like a repeat of the yellow journalism of the late 1800's.

I used to get my news from online sources, along with my pop cultural gossip. A few years ago, I quit that for the most part, because of poor reporting and negative slants. I used to think that if I ever started a newspaper it would only report happy news because no one ever does. Now, I heavily rely on my husband and daughter to keep me apprised of world and cultural events. I supplement with NPR and BBC. While I love BBC News online and visit it often, I admit I find myself mostly focusing on science and technology. Most of my online time is spent working, researching and writing. My only cultural connection seems to come with the occasional visits to Geekologie, and every now and again popping into a new favorite virtual spot -Lifebuzz.com.

I don't remember how I bumped into this gem of a site, but after one viewing, I signed up for their emails. Their site and posts are uplifting, hilarious, and curious. "SlowMo" is all three.

Slowmo, a former wealthy doctor turned rollerblader, now spends his time enjoying life rather than trying to climb the corporate ladder (http://www.lifebuzz.com/slomo/). I was no exception. Up until my last corporate stint about six years ago, I climbed, crawled and pleaded for a way up that ladder. Even though I was not doing what I felt was my life purpose or even my career goal, I pushed myself. I aligned part of who I was to my success in making that happen. And while I had no desire for a fancy car, a mansion, or all the money in the world, I still salivated for success. And yes, winning the lottery would be nice, I told myself. After all, think of all the good in the world I could do with money.

But would I be able to give up my house, my car, and my job just to hang out at the beach all day long? You betcha. Sign me up. Now it would be nice to start off with a hefty life savings to start my new life off with. However, the thought of being one with nature, being able to just be happy and not worry about wearing that "mask" we all wear, seems pretty appealing.

Slowmo takes life at a slower pace now living with the bare essentials. He finds a connection to spirituality now that he never had before.

We don't need a huge savings account to start a life of living in a peaceful present moment. We could start right now, in this moment, simply by doing what we want to do, when time allows it (which we have to create and make room for). We can realize that all of those things like a new car that is crazy polished, a lawn that is perfectly mowed, a house that is like a museum instead of a lived in home, may not be so important. Perhaps, if we could live like him, in each breathing moment, we too could find what truly matters in life.