Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Week Nine on the Bhakti Path: Knowledge in Stillness

For many years, I wondered what my purpose was. What was my career suppose to be? What was I put here on this planet to do? One day, a few years ago, I realized what I had been doing on the side, my holistic health practice, was what I was meant to do.

Today was one of those beautiful days that reminded me of it. I started the day helping someone who was working through a physical issue. Part of it was me being Macgyver trying to adhere a heating patch to the body with gauze tape since the patch was not sticky. Next was issuing turmeric (in my top five picks for all time best herbal remedy). Lastly, I placed my hands on for Reiki where I saw the issue in the body. I left that moment feeling perfectly still inside. The world was quiet.

This evening, was my Wednesday night meditation class at the studio. I guided a yoga nidra using the touch points on the body, focusing on the heart's desire, and leading through various visualizations. At the end of class, we did a breath meditation. I found myself sharing all the nuances and techniques of meditation, talking about the delicate balance between letting go and being fully present. As I left the studio, I became fully present of that feeling I felt earlier in the day - stillness. As I stood outside with the sun still gleaming in the sky, I realized that this is what I am meant to do. I am meant to heal people.

I am not teaching anyone anything they don't know. That was a concept that was a little hard for me to accept years ago when one of my teachers mentioned it to me. "We are just a guide, reminding others of what they've forgotten." Now, I hold that concept to my chest like a mantra.

We know how to breathe. We now that a sense of peace comes from severing ourselves from the chaotic world and all of the distractions that come with it. However, sometimes, we forget.

As a child, I would pause standing in Tree pose. I would feel more comfortable sitting in a modified lotus pose. I had no idea what yoga was, let alone any of the asanas. As I grew and recalled more past lives, I pointed to my past life in India. My memory came through in subtle ways before of the conscious memory.We have inside of us, this knowledge, (whether it is the collective unconscious, time not as linear as we perceive, or past life memories) that we forget and just need to be reminded we know.

Wherever we are in our practice, whether it be yoga, meditation, or simply just being a compassionate human being, we should remember that there is always more to "remember." And we in turn can help others "remember," as well.

Photo courtesy of notable-quotes.com

"At first you might find that nothing happens there. But if you have a sacred space and use it, eventually something will happen. Your sacred space is where you find yourself again and again."
~Joseph Campbell