Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Community on Social Media

A few months ago I was ready to stop reading the newsfeed on Facebook because everything seemed depressing, angry and bitter. HOWEVER...with all of the commotion around the world getting ramped up (Gaza, Iraq, Ukraine, Ebola virus-already on top of turmoil in Egypt, Thailand, etc.), it seems like everyone's posts (both people & pages) have turned into inspiration! I've seen more videos of human and animal compassion in the past few weeks than in years. I've seen people sharing more touching & inspirational stories (I'm talking more than just cat videos). 

HONY (Humans of New York) has turned into the best reporting and support group for various places in Africa & Iraq. They are reflecting the lives and thoughts of real people. It's amazing how we've turned into supporters on social media, being grateful for our gifts, becoming vessels of compassion. 

My husband and I are movie fanatics. I grew up acting and he went to school for cinematography and worked on indie films, and television shows. So, we get into these philosophical talks about film. After the Vietnam War, people needed a relief from the years of tragedy. Star Wars was such a success because people needed the dream of something else. 

This past week, instead of a movie, we've turned to each other. I know I needed to see these moments to know we can see and have compassion for all living beings. So, thank you!