Friday, May 9, 2014

Herbal Remedies in the Garden




When I was around twelve years old, I remember buying my first "grown-up" books. As someone who was not the "average" teenager, my first book was about eco-conscious shopping and brands. My second was on herbal remedies listing uses from around the globe for each ailment. I had no basis to getting these books. My mother did not know anything about climate change or the benefits of recycling at the time (although she did encourage us to collect our aluminum cans and put them in the magical "recycle" machine for change). We lived in Astoria, N.Y., a city, where the only green was at Central Park. Even before that, I remember buying a small paperback book with a pink cover that gave tips on natural ways to combat the teenage nightmare of acne, facials and other health and beauty tips.

People ask me often how I know about herbal remedies. They ask if I studied it in school or am certified. Oddly enough, this knowledge came from experimenting here and there. My first introduction to the world of natural healing was through the astringent, witch hazel, which I learned about in my paperback acne book. At the time I never would have equated it with a shrub. I just knew it was an all natural remedy for getting rid of pimples. It didn't work for me, but I tried every recipe I could possibly make in that book. I used cucumbers on my eyes for puffiness. I used lemon juice in my hair for shine.

As a teenager (aside from lemon juice), I became a vegetarian and started on a food kick learning about minerals, vitamins and proteins. My mother was always an advocate of vitamins. I had upgraded from Flinestones' chewable to an adult tablet. My stepfather was into herbal supplements. Even was I was younger, my father touted the health benefits of cod liver oil.

My friend Missy decided one day when I was in my twenties, that we should make our own all natural skin remedies and sell them at a farmer's market in town. Her vast knowledge of plants was outstanding. Without her knowing, she became my teacher, and I her apprentice. Taking the information she gave me, I continued to researching herbs. Goldenseal, a perennial native to the U.S. has a yellow root that is known for its antiseptic properties. A pinch of this, along with a few teaspoons of french green clay, a drop of tea tree oil and a few drops of water became the perfect acne treatment. I learned to make massage and hair oils. My favorite scent blends was Ylang Ylang and Lavender. I made foot and body scrubs from sugar, salt, seaweed, sesame seeds, and coffee. I made my daughter's oatmeal bath for eczema with ground oats and powdered milk, along with her topical oil of olive oil and calendula. Food and herbs became topical dreams.

Through playing with herbs for topical, I inadvertently learned their medicinal properties. I cared for my family's ailments using that same book I bought when I was a young girl. Each new illness had me delving in looking for something I could concoct.

At a conference during one summer, my daughter who was with me, suffered from a bee sting. A holistic practitioner scooted outside coming back with a handful of dirt. She added a few drops of water from the bathroom sink and applied it to the sting. My daughter immediately felt pain free.

Then came my next lesson in learning herbs through gardening. I wanted an herb garden along with my vegetable garden. What should I grow? What would I use? Each year I added to my garden. A friend led me through the edge of the property where my studio is on beautiful farmland. I learned about wild weeds. Plantain is good for cuts. Dandelion detoxes the body. Stinging nettle for arthritis, digestion, allergies, and urinary tract support. Yellow dock root for cramps, hormone balance, blood builder and cancer. Cleavers (or sticky weed as I refer to it) for the lymphatic system. Common "weeds" gardeners pull out with so many health benefits waiting to be used! She also taught me to look at food, herbs and weeds to see the clues nature left behind. Beets are red so use for blood. Look at it's roots and cut one open and it looks like a heart. Sticky weed sticks to everything so it can collect what your body doesn't need.

Tonight, as I walked around a section of my yard where the spring and summer wildflowers grow, I saw the stinging nettle staring up at me. I recently read how it was stinging nettle picking time. Another first for me, but one I am excited for. And for Mother's Day this year, I think witch hazel for my garden has finally made it onto the list.